If your pregnancy test is positive, you have a decision to make
For immediate encouragement and support, click here to read other girls' stories: http://standupgirl.com
It may seem like abortion will wipe away this situation and you can just move on. It's not that simple. Abortion is not just a simple medical procedure. For many women, it is a life changing event with significant physical, emotional, and spiritual consequences. Most women who struggle with past abortions say that they wish they had been told all of the facts about abortion and its risks.
Abortion is a medical procedure and you owe it to yourself to have accurate and complete information. We can discuss the different types of procedures with you as well as provide you with information on the risks.
Emotional and Psychological Impact
Following abortion, many women experience initial relief. The perceived crisis is over and life returns to normal. For many women, however, the crisis isn’t over. Months and even years later, significant problems develop. There is evidence that abortion is associated with a decrease in both emotional and physical health, long term.46 Many studies have shown abortion to be connected to:
- Clinical Depressions1
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse2
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder3
Women who have experienced abortion may develop the following symptoms:
- Guilt, Grief, Anger, Anxiety, Depression, Suicidal Thoughts
- Difficulty Bonding with Partner or Children
- Eating Disorders
If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms, you are not alone. Please contact us.
Do you really know what a modern option is?
Creating an adoption plan presents you with options. We can help you think through this process. Did you know:
- You choose the parents (if you prefer)
- You choose the level of involvement with your child and the adoptive family
- You have the power
With the right support of qualified people, parenting classes/information and community resources, many women find this is the best decision for them.
Choosing to parent your child may also present you with some questions. We can help you answer these questions and also provide you with resources and referrals to help you as a parent. If you feel unsure of how you might provide for a child, we have programs to assist you with the things you will need.
You're worth it - get accurate and complete information about your choices.
Your life has taken a turn. You owe it to yourself to have accurate and complete information about the options available to you. Please call us at 734-425-8060 to set up a free appointment with one of our Associates.
- Fergusson DM, et al. Abortion in young women and subsequent mental health. J of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2006; 47(1):16-24.
- Coleman P, Reardon D, Rue V. Prior history of induced abortion in relation to substance use during subsequent pregnancies carried to term. Am J of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2002; 187:1673-78.
- Thorp JM, Shadigian E, et al. Long term physical and psychological health consequences of induced abortion: review of the evidence.
- Yang C-Y. Association between parity and risk of suicide among parous women. Can Med Assoc J Apr 2010; 182; 569-572.